Tone All Over with a Kickass New Boxing Workout
Are you ready to be in the best shape of your life? Ready to develop the lean, ripped body of a boxer as you learn and build the athletic skills of boxing – speed, strength, agility, stamina and endurance and power? All as you burn an amazing number of calories and learn practical, real world self-defense skills.
Boxing fitness is a high-intensity, total body workout that’s fun! boxing works virtually every muscle group through a variety of aerobic and anaerobic exercises often performed in short but intense 1-3 minute training intervals called “rounds”. Maybe you’ve heard the latest fitness buzzwords, “interval training” and “high intensity interval training” – boxers have been using circuit and interval training for well over a century.
Your boxing fitness workouts will include a short warm up followed by cardio, skills training, resistance training and a cool down and stretch. Sessions will also include shadow boxing to enhance your motor skills and muscle memory, rounds with a speed ball or speed bag to improve your speed and reflexes, and rounds using the heavy punching bag to improve power. This training will also teach you to defend yourself and block punches. You’ll learn boxing skills including:
- Proper Stance – Every move in boxing begins from the boxing stance, with your knees slightly bent, chin tucked in and hands at ear height, with elbows tucked into sides.
- Jab – If you’re right handed, you’ll jab with your left hand. A jab is a short and quick punch then immediately returning to your defensive position. Keep that right hand up when throwing your jab, and focus on speed.
- Right Cross – If you’re right handed, the right cross is your power punch involving twisting at the hip and shoulders producing a powerful and long reaching strike. After the punch, quickly snap back to your defensive stance and keep your left hand up when throwing your cross.
- Uppercuts – A left or right uppercut is used when close to your opponent. The power originates as you come out of a partial squatting position and bring the punch up to the jaw.
- Hooks – Another close fighting punch thrown left or right to the side of your opponent’s head. Power comes from the shoulder and hips, your arm follows a hooking motion while maintaining a bend in the elbow with your arm parallel to the floor.
- Combinations – Combinations are a series of individual punches performed in sequence. Examples include a Jab-Cross, Jab-Cross-Hook, Jab-Cross-Uppercut. Combinations develop skills, speed, agility and coordination.
Boxing skills will be learned and practiced through a variety of drills and exercises and “rounds” when the different punch will be practiced in combinations and all of the techniques are applied. These rounds and combination training are conducted on a heavy bag or with a partner or coach using hand “target” pads. In addition to boxing skills, boxing and boxing fitness provides the following health benefits:
- Fat Burning – Boxing fitness burns 500-700 calories or more during a one hour session. By comparison, jogging burns only about 300 calories an hour.
- Intensity – Fitness boxing is the ultimate (and original) high-intensity interval training workout as you alternate between short periods of maximal effort followed by active recovery providing both aerobic and anaerobic training. You’ll be improving your cardiovascular fitness and endurance as you strengthen muscle, bones and tendons.
- Power – Boxing fitness develops power, a combination of strength, speed and agility.
- Core Strength – Boxing fitness requires constant core stabilization and uses many twisting (rotational) movements that develop and strengthen your core and abs. The addition of medicine ball exercises further strengthens your core and abs.
- Stress Relief – After a long stress filled day at work or school, an hour in the gym sweating and hitting the heavy bag or target mitts will quickly ease tensions and relieve that stress. The increased activity and training will increase your adrenaline and also release endorphins that will improve your mood and outlook. Relieving stress will also reduce the incidence of stress eating.
- Self Esteem – Boxing fitness and boxing training are empowering. You will leave class tired but happy, proud of what you achieved in class. You’ll stand taller, partly from that core training and improved posture, but also from improved self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Build Connections – You will build camaraderie and friendships with your fellow “boxers”. They will become much more than your training partners and coaches. Training will get you off the couch and into the gym to interact with new friends, friends who support you and hold you accountable for showing up for every session.
When you’re ready to get into the best shape of your life, join us for 3 Boxing Classes for only $19.99 with FREE Gloves.